October 31, 2018
By Christopher Jensen
Ford decided to recall about 1.3 million vehicles in the United States with a stalling problem only after being contacted by federal regulators, according to a report posted on the website of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The automaker said officials from the safety agency contacted them in May about complaints from owners of its Focus models.
After a series of discussions with the regulators Ford said it decided earlier this month that a recall was necessary.
When an automaker recalls a vehicle it is required by the government to explain the sequence of events leading to the action.
The action covers 2012 -18 Focus models with the 2.0-liter GDI four-cylinder engines built before April 13, 2017 as well as 2.0-liter GTDI engines built before Feb. 2, 2018.
The automaker said it was not aware of any accidents or injuries related to the defect.
The agency has at least 100 complaints from owners about stalling or driveability issues with the models being recalled.
The vehicle would get up to about 20 miles per hour and just stall in traffic. This is becoming a major safety issue, especially having my 12-year-old in the vehicle with me, a Virginia owner wrote the agency.
Ford said a malfunctioning canister purge valve could cause driveability problems or stalling.
While the safety agency contacted Ford about the complaints it never posted an official note of its concern on its website. Typically such inquiries are made public as preliminary evaluations.
Ford has had a series of recalls and investigations into stalling or engine problems. In July the agency began an investigation into owner complaints about the Escape.
Copyright 2018 Forbes LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Terms and Conditions
Quality News Today is an ASQ member benefit offering quality related news
from around the world every business day.
Click here to read the entire article: Quality News Today.