Transportation Monitor Worldwide
September 15, 2017
Hospitals nationwide could reduce annual supply expenses by approximately $23 billion in aggregate through improvements in supply chain operations, processes, and product use, according to a Navigant analysis of more than 2,300 hospitals. This represents a 17.8% average total supply expense reduction opportunity, or up to $9.9 million a year per hospitalan amount equivalent to the annual salaries of 150 registered nurses, or the cost of 4,000 cardiac defibrillators or five Da Vinci robots.
The analysis also shows lower supply spending does not have to reduce quality, as hospital-acquired condition and value-based purchasing scores are slightly better at top-performing supply chain facilities. Moreover, the chance to realize savings may exist for all types of hospitals, with opportunities relatively equal across such characteristics as size, regional location, and whether the facility is urban or rural, for-profit or not-for-profit, or system-based or standalone. To view these results, visit www.navigant.com /SupplyChainAnalysis.
The pressure on hospitals and health systems to reduce costs and maintain quality will only intensify, no matter the outcome of healthcare reform, said Christine Torres, system VP of supply chain management for Philadelphia-based Main Line Health. The supply chain represents close to a third of the average hospitals overall operating expense, and its predicted to surpass labor as a hospitals greatest expense by 2020. Opportunities exist for all organizations, even top performers, to improve supply chain efficiencies while continuing to offer the highest levels of care to the communities we serve.
Provider best practices
The study found that the top 24% of 2,331 U.S. hospitals analyzed spent $23 billion less a year than other facilities on supply chain products and related operations, processes, and procedures. Savings could be achieved if the remaining 76% of hospitals perform at the level of top performers for supply chain budget efficiency.
Top performers consistently leverage evidence-based protocols and data analytics to reduce variation in pricing, product use, and clinical outcomes. This information better equips supply departments to:
- Reduce the number of suppliers and contracts for like items, particularly with products needed for routine procedures.
- Optimize the type and frequency of products used based on specific patient circumstances and cases.
- Engage physicians to standardize use of implantable devices proven to produce clinically equivalent outcomes at a lower cost.
- Automate requisitions, purchase orders, invoices, and other manual supply chain processes that can lead to documentation errors.
Its clear that some hospitals have the appropriate strategies and processes in place to efficiently manage supply chain budgets while maintaining high-quality outcomes, said Rob Austin, associate director at Navigant. For example, we have found, somewhat counterintuitively, that the highest-performing providers are simultaneously able to decrease cost and improve quality, in part by reducing clinical variation. Lower-performing supply chain departments need to leverage these types of proven best practices to drive care delivery improvements.
Benchmarking data is also essential, but providers must look outside their organization to obtain a true snapshot of performance.
In-hospital benchmarks and year-over-year improvement goals are valuable in monitoring internal supply chain performance, but these measures dont reveal an organizations true improvement potential, said Paul Weintraub, director at Navigant. To accurately uncover efficiency opportunities, providers must look beyond their facilitys four walls and leverage industry-wide benchmarking data that compares their supply performance against that of their peers.
Copyright 2017 Global Data Point. Provided by Syndigate Media Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Terms and Conditions
Quality News Today is an ASQ member benefit offering quality related news
from around the world every business day.
Click here to read the entire article: Quality News Today.